Freedom

Freedom

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Testing Trust

Two things happened yesterday that inspired me to write this blog. First, I single handedly reaffirmed my faith in people, and second, I decided I absolutely don't want to be around those who do not readily trust others.

The long and short of the former is this: A couple from France contacted me on Http://www.couchsurfing.com two nights ago telling me that they needed a place to stay last minute. I had previously discussed couchsurfing with my manager, and was under the impression things were good as long as they were only there for a day or two. So, I checked out their profile and told them I'd offer a place for them. No problem. I told a few folks, and they were excited about the idea.

Another said, "As long as they don't steal my shit." We'll return to that later.

The bottom line is, I brought them to the house, but it was not allowed for them to spend the night.

I tried to find them a different place to stay, but nothing worked out. When it came down to it, they'd end up camping. That's when they asked me if it would be ok to use my car. Without hesitation, I told them it would be perfect.

I pulled out my seats from the back, removed everything, layed down some thermarests, some sleeping bags, and set out a candle. Voila, instant cozy room. I decided to safeguard nothing. I left over $150 in cash in the front, $4,000 of gemstones in the change dispenser, 2 Ipods, my credit cards, and my $3,000 camera and lens in the car. I gave them the keys and full reign.

We set up a time to meet up in the morning so I could take them to the road to continue their journey, and then could continue on to training. When I went to leave the house to walk to where we parked the car (it was deemed they couldn't sleep on the property at all) I was surprised to almost bump into Clo and Le Beun, my new couchsurfing friends from France. Not only had they cleaned everything they left behind, but they went out of their way to be at my door before I went to them!

I took them to get some coffee, dropped them at a decent hitching site, and bid them farewell.

I still have my car, my $150 in cash, $4,000 in gemstones, 2 Ipods, credit cards, and my $3,000 camera and lense. In this, I reaffirmed that people are indeed good. They are to be trusted, and to think otherwise is to cheat yourself from what could be a fully enriching experience in life.

Onto the latter issue. I was fully disappointed in 3 of my housemates. A rule was posted that visitors are allowed, i.e. you can head downtown and bring home a girl that night without reprisal. Somebody you meet downtown can stay for days, but verified and vouched for members of a respected online community cannot. I'm having a hard time understanding, appreciating, and accepting this.

This reaction was part of why I left everything of value in my vehicle. Today, people have become untrusting. The fear of opening your home and heart to others is overriding our humanity.

Today I made the semi calculated decision to move out of guide housing within the next month. This month is rent free, but on the 1st of June, rent is $175 a month. The digs are nice. There's a great kitchen, nice back yard, decent sized rooms, and hot water. I like my roommates, but since the couchsurfing "incident," I've noticed some tension between the live-in managers and myself. I feel like a guest in their house instead of at home.

And so, I've decided to camp out this summer. I'm looking for a place to stay, be it tent, treehouse, or vehicle. I might ride out this month, as I'm working on a scrapbook that needs some type of cleanliness to be successful, but as soon as the book is finished, I'm gone.

I think it's been too long since I've used my burners, tent, and propane. (Not together, of course!)

Open your hearts, open your minds, people. Regain your humanity and become in touch with each other! Scary movies aren't real. All people are not out to get you! Challenge yourself today, and start a conversation with a stranger. Sit down with a homeless man, and learn something about life.

4 comments:

  1. You. Are. Amazing. 'Nuff said. Thank you for this post. I have often had this fight with friends and family. In my travels throughout Korea, Thailand, Japan, and Italy, I have found that people are good, just as you say. What's sad is that the U.S. is not in the list of countries I listed above. Don't get me wrong, Americans are genuinely good people too. I have just found in my travels that we are often our own worst enemies. I concur with you Rita, and encourage all who read this to open your hearts. Life and the people in it, just might surprise you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There is only one opportunity called life for this one duration called now...Live Life Now!!!" -TO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah people that lack good judgment are always leary, and because of their fear they miss out on great opportunities. Good for you Rita, u will always have good Karma

    ReplyDelete